The City of Lake Oswego is moving forward with its Boones Ferry Road Project, which calls for the widening of Boones Ferry Road from Madrona Street to the Oakridge Road/Reese Road intersection, together with associated public improvements. As set forth on the Project’s website, the Project includes:
- Four vehicular travel lanes
- Landscaped medians with vehicular turn lane improvements
- New, safer sidewalks with street trees, lighting, street furniture and landscaping
- Two new signalized intersections and two new pedestrian crosswalks
- Bike lanes in each direction
- Improved storm drainage systems
- Undergrounding of utilities
- Pedestrian crossing at Lanewood
The City of Lake Oswego is targeting the taking of 50 properties in whole or part. While this Project serves a legitimate public purpose, whether the owners of the impacted properties will receive just compensation is another matter.
According to press coverage, the City is armed with condemnation resolutions and will soon commence taking property through eminent domain if “negotiations” are not successful. Property acquisitions are scheduled to take place through 2017, with construction to commence in 2018.